Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine Goodies!


I saw these cookies on a magazine cover, thought they were really cute and then prompty forgot what magazine I saw them on. So after some searching I found a recipe for them. I think they are so fun looking. And not as hard to make as they look. It did take all day to make them. But I ended up with enough for all my family that is here in town. I hope everyone who had one enjoyed it. :)


Trent thought they were good. He is trying to snitch one while I am taking a picture of them.


Here is the recipe for anyone who might like it. I left out the almond because I don't care for it. I also used strawberry jam because I am not a fan of rasberry. The dough is not very sweet and was really easy to handle. I am thinking I will use the dough to make other sugar cookie type treats. Also the cookie cutter I had was bigger then the ones they asked for in the recipe so I had to double the recipe to get a dozen of the big cookies.


Raspberry Sandwich Hearts
Ingredients:
Dough:
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup confectioners (powdered) sugar, plus additional for dusting
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure almond extract

Filling:
½ cup seedless raspberry jam

Directions:
Dough:
In a medium bowl, sift flour and salt together. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine butter and confectioner sugar; beat together until mixture is smooth. Add vanilla extract and almond extract; stir until blended. Add flour mixture; stir to mix.


Press dough into a ball, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, or lined with parchment paper.


On a lightly floured surface, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into hearts or other desired shapes using a 2½ inch cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)


Using a 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour, cut out the center of half of the 2½ inch cookies. Re-roll the scraps, or bake the 1 inch heart shapes separately.

Bake:
Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.

Filling and Assembly:
Leaving a ¼ inch border uncovered, spread about 1 teaspoon of the raspberry jam over each cookie without the middle cutout.


Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the tops of the cookies that have the middle cutout with confectioners sugar. Place the cutout cookies on top of the jam-covered cookies.

Makes about 2 dozen cookie sandwiches

4 comments:

templework said...

Those are sooo pretty!
You are really patient to make all those!
Wow!

Ratliffs said...

They were SO good! Poor T.J. didn't get most of my big one like I promised him!! I liked it too much! Thanks!!

Stacey said...

They sound like they are really yummy! I could never make them though, I would have to eat them all. Tyson doesn't do red/pink stuff. Especially as a dessert. He will eat raspberry jam on a PB&J but no where else...and he won't ever touch strawberry anything unless it's the real thing. He's crazy!

Verity said...

Those look GOOD! :)